It is especially perfect that the collaborative summer reading program theme this summer is "Dig into Reading;" offering an excellent opportunity to get outside the brick and mortar library and get my hands dirty!
Today was the first of five story times. I arrived a half an hour early to set-up, which was a good thing, considering I ended up making several trips back and forth gathering my supplies, setting up the sign-in table for a volunteer, and helping erect a pop-up tent for extra shade.
The set-up was simple: a folding chair for me, checkered tablecloths for families to sit on, and a small table to hold my portable CD player and my little Hisonic amp. (And books, maracas, and a puppet--of course!)
The weather cooperated and was perfect: an overcast sky with a cooling breeze. Though it had rained the night before, it wasn't muddy or soggy.
I'll admit I was nervous. What seemed an idyllic idea in the confines of my brain could play out very differently in the crisp summer morning garden. What if someone fell; what if there wasn't enough parking; what if I forgot a vital piece of the materials I needed? Anxiety wracked me. The possibilities for disaster seemed endless. Out-of-doors, I naively realized, was completely out of my control.
And then, the magic happened. Families arrived, donning floppy sun hats and sunglasses, excitedly making their way through the damp and cool grass to our little story time tent.
After a few songs and books, we took time to walk about the garden, exploring the new buds and unfurling tendrils of the habitat surrounding us. Children were entranced by every insect, bird, and leaf we encountered.
We tasted lemon basil and tarragon. We drew pictures of our green cherry tomatoes, hoping they'll be ripe by next week for us to pick. We compared summer outfits to the bright colors of the Black-eyed Susans and marigolds.
What a wondrous experience: to see the garden through the eyes of a child.
Taking story time outside, into the world and past the limitations of a building: crossing my mid-line and challenging myself this week.


No comments:
Post a Comment