In reading through the book, Phoebe and Digger for a recent preschool story time, I felt very drawn to the book's message of sharing. Raffi's "Sharing Song" popped into my head, and sure enough, we own the album Singable Songs for the Very Young.
It was easy to combine these two. I learned the signs for "mine," "yours," and "share."
The children and I went through the signs a few times and I sang parts of the chorus with them using the signs.
I can never predict how these ASL songs will go. They are usually pretty effective and fun. Sharing Song was successful.
Of course I missed a few signing cues, but it made me laugh.
I had a story time mother tell me afterward how appropriate the message was and proceeded to use the sign when asking her 3-year-old daughter to share glue sticks with her friend. Her daughter nearly wiped glue stick on her little hand as she mimicked the sign. Too cute.
ASL song this week: crossing my mid-line and pushing my boundaries.
No comments:
Post a Comment